Julia Childs' Upside Down Martini
3/4 oz gin
3 3/4 oz oz dry vermouth
1. Combine in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
2. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a lemon twist.
Note: Julia Child's favorite vermouth was Noilly Prat (French of course), and her version of this drink as shown above is 5 parts vermouth to 1 part gin. Adjust according to your own tastes. I like 2 oz vermouth, 1 oz gin. Especially nice with Awayuki strawberry gin.
2 oz hibiscus simple syrup*
1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
2-4 oz soda water
1. Mix simple syrup and lime juice in a tall glass, or a large wine glass.
2. Top with soda water and garnish with lime wedge, lemon twist, or fresh mint.
Low ABV variation: add 2 oz hibiscus simple syrup to Prosecco, serve in a large wine glass.
Full serve variation: use recipe for spritzer and add 2 oz vodka, gin, or tequila.
*Simple syrup: 2 tsp Happy Hour Hibiscus Tea, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar. Bring all to a light boil, remove from heat, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Strain into a jar. Keeps for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
2 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
1/2 oz simple syrup*
2-4 oz tonic or soda water
1. mix juice and simple syrup in a tall glass with ice.
2. Top with soda water or tonic water.
3. Garnish with a slice of fresh grapefruit, and/or fresh mint.
Another non-alcohol variation: use Elderflower Tonic by Fevertree.
Low ABV variation: prepare as above and add 1 1/2 oz Aperol.
Elegant variation: mix grapefruit juice and Aperol in a mixing glass with ice, strain into wine glass, add a handful of ice cubes and top with Prosecco.
*Simple syrup: mix 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a pan. Heat to a low boil, remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Keeps in the refrigerator about 2 weeks.